Why do Filipino planners have difficulty preparing comprehensive land use plans?
This 2016 paper may contain the answers.
Context: Status of CLUP Updating in the Philippines
Local government units in the Philippines are required to complete and update two plans. These are:
Secretary Eduardo del Rosario of the DHSUD describes the CLUP as “a necessity…no longer an option.”
However, as of November 2020, only 508 out of the 1,634 local government units in the Philippines have CLUPs that are updated and mainstreamed with climate change and disaster risk reduction measures.
Top 3 major problems in CLUP Preparation
What issues are hindering LGUs in the Philippines from updated CLUPs?
Quitalig and Orale (2016) found that LGU planners in Samar rank these as top 3 major problems.
- Absence of GIS Specialist
- Multi-tasking or overload of tasks of MPDC
- Insufficiently qualified staff
With these problems, the authors recommend interventions, including:
- incentivize the CLUP preparation and penalize negligent LGUs
- introduce a capacity development program for the whole cycle of CLUP preparation
Watch the Video or Listen on Spotify for my reaction and recommendations.