Through public hearings, local land use plans can get feedback and support.
The Comprehensive Land Use Plan process in the Philippines is composed of 12 steps.
Step 9 is to CONDUCT PUBLIC HEARINGS.
Why is the step important?
Through public hearings, the LGU can get feedback and support about their land use plans from all stakeholders. Implementing the land use plan will be more effective when stakeholders support plans.
What is the step about?
Step 9 consists of four major phases.
- Pre-public hearing: Information dissemination and public exhibit of drafts
- Public hearing: At least 1 for cities and municipalities, at least 2 for HUCs and independent cities
- Committee hearings: Local Sanggunian hearings
- Post-public hearing: Revision and submission
How does it look like in my Tiwi experience?
- As consultants, we were not involved in the public hearing for the draft zoning ordinance.
Suggested principles for public hearings
- Participation beyond consultation
- Openness: make draft and maps available for all
- Accessibility: minimize jargons and technical words