What skills and competencies do environmental planners need?
- Planning research methods
- System thinking
- Critical thinking skills
- Basic design skills
- Decision-making techniques
- Collaborative skills
Understanding of concepts and principles
- Basic elements and classification of the environment
- History/theories/principles of Environmental Planning
- Urban/regional issues/problems
- Planning processes
- Government programs/political decisions
- Legal/administrative aspects
- Interaction among various sectors in Environmental Planning
For those who would like to work in local governments, environmental planners must possess good listening skills and negotiation skills.